How to accept an external invite to a SharePoint site (non-Microsoft account)
- Click the link in the email to go to the Microsoft sign in page.
- You should see a page asking you to log in with an account. If you don’t have a Microsoft account or an organisational account, you can create one for your current email address by clicking Create a Microsoft account, its quick and easy!
- Fill out your current email address and create a new password
- Once you have done this, it will request you to enter a code. The code will have been sent to your email address. Once you have received the code, enter it
- Once you press next, it will automatically redirect you to the site that was originally shared with you
What is a tenancy?
A tenancy in Office 365 refers to the full Office 365 suite attached to a domain. When Office 365 is set up, it creates a tenancy to store all the data for Office 365 including things like SharePoint, OneDrive and Yammer. This allows all of your organisations data to sit in the same environment and be moved around within the tenant with ease.
The second part of the tenant is the data that feeds into it. Exchange data and Active Directory data are fed directly into your tenant. But what does that actually mean?
- Exchange is the name of the email service. All the exchange data relates to email and in this scenario can be thought of as the foundation for email.
- Active Directory is the name of Microsofts domain management system. In this scenario, it helps all the apps talk to each other within the same tenant.
The Department for Education has issued advice for schools on cloud software services and the Data Protection Act.
The advice “outlines how schools need to consider data security when moving services and sensitive information to the internet-based facilities of cloud computing”, the DfE said.
Office 365 is more than just email. Office 365 is a suite of cloud products offered by Microsoft designed to improve collaboration and productivity. Because all of the data associated with your account is stored in the clould, it means instead of hosting all your school data being stored on a server in school, it is stored in one of Microsofts data centers and can be accessed from anywhere on any device with an internet connection.
One of the advantages of using Office 365 is that it includes Office Online which consists of lighter versions of the full Windows desktop Office applications with fewer of the functions, but they do give you access to everything you will need to work
- Work on your Office Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentations and OneNote workbooks anywhere you have internet access
- Share Office files with other Office 365 users