What is Office 365
Office 365 is more than just email. Office 365 is a suite of cloud products offered by Microsoft designed to improve collaboration and productivity. Because all of the data associated with your account is stored in the clould, it means instead of hosting all your school data being stored on a server in school, it is stored in one of Microsofts data centers and can be accessed from anywhere on any device with an internet connection.
One of the advantages of using Office 365 is that it includes Office Online which consists of lighter versions of the full Windows desktop Office applications with fewer of the functions, but they do give you access to everything you will need to work
- Work on your Office Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentations and OneNote workbooks anywhere you have internet access
- Share Office files with other Office 365 users
Another advantages of using Office 365 for Education is that you can access your emails, documents and contact other users from any device, desktop, tablet or phone.
For more detailed information on Microsoft Office 365 for Education please use the following link.
Please contact the Schools ICT helpdesk 01609 536086 option 1 to change or check your current Office 365 License.
What does Office 365 include?
Office 365 includes a variety of tools to assist you in your day to day routine.
- Outlook for sending/recieving emails and managing calendars
- OneDrive for personal cloud storage
- SharePoint for collaborative group cloud storage
- Groups for managing small working parties
- Planner for creating sprint style charts
- Video that can be used like YouTube but only accessed internally
- Skype for Business which allows you to Instant Message (IM) colleagues at any point and much more with the desktop version
How much does it cost?
Office 365 is provided by Microsoft to schools for free! There is no charges for licensing.
How much storage is provided?
Each mailbox in Office 365 has a soft limit of 50GB. This soft limit means that even if you reach 50GB worth of emails, it can be increased even further to allow for more room
Every user in Office 365 gets 1TB free of storage in their personal OneDrive which can be used for anything ranging from pictures and video files to lesson plans and newsletters.
In SharePoint, users begin to access the global tennant storage which although Microsoft hasnt given us an updated value for global tennant storage, we estimate it to be 6TB of global store per licensed user. This means with 100 teachers/students with an Office 365 storage you can get roughly 600TB of cloud storage.