Last Updated: 19-11-2018
Office 365 is more than just email. Office 365 is a suite of cloud products offered by Microsoft designed to improve collaboration and productivity. Because all of the data associated with your account is stored in the cloud, it means instead of all your school data being stored on a server in school, it is stored in one of Microsoft's data centers and can be accessed from anywhere on any device with an internet connection.
One of the advantages of using Office 365 is that it includes Office Online, web optimised versions of the full Windows desktop Office applications. Although these may have slightly fewer functions then their desktop counterparts, most people will find that have access to everything they need to get work done on a day to day basis.
- Work on your Office Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentations and OneNote workbooks anywhere you have internet access
- Share Office files with other Office 365 users
Another advantages of using Office 365 for Education is that you can access your emails, documents and contact other users from any device, desktop, tablet or phone.
Finally, the best bit about Office 365 is that it is available for free to schools. For more detailed information on Microsoft Office 365 for Education subcriptions please use the following link. Please contact the Schools ICT helpdesk 01609 536086 option 1 to change or check your current Office 365 License.
If you would like to learn more about the various features available in Office 365 please see Office 365 - So Much More Than E-mail
What does Office 365 include?
Office 365 includes a variety of tools to assist you in your day to day routine.
- Outlook for sending/recieving emails and managing calendars
- Online versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote
- OneDrive for personal cloud storage
- SharePoint for collaborative group cloud storage and a School Intranet
- Teams for communication and sharing between groups working together on a regular basis
- Planner for creating sprint style charts
- Stream, for video content that can be used like YouTube but only accessed internally
- Skype for Business which allows you to Instant Message (IM) colleagues at any point and much more with the desktop version
- and more. See Office 365 - So Much More Than E-mail
How much does it cost?
Standard Office 365 is provided by Microsoft to schools for free! See Get Office 365 free for your entire school.
How much storage is provided?
Each mailbox in Office 365 has a soft limit of 50GB. This soft limit means that even if you reach 50GB worth of emails, it can be increased even further to allow for more room
Every user in Office 365 gets 1TB free of storage in their personal OneDrive which can be used for anything ranging from pictures and video files to lesson plans and newsletters. This can be increased to 5TB if required by Office 365 admins if required. A further increase to 25TB is available by request from Microsoft.
In SharePoint, users begin to access the global tenant storage which although Microsoft hasnt given us an updated value for global tennant storage, we estimate it to be 6TB of global store per licensed user. This means with 100 teachers/students with an Office 365 storage you can get roughly 600TB of cloud storage.