So You Want To Work From Home...Or From The Beach, Or The Train, or Anywhere.
You might just know Office 365 as an e-mail system. But, believe me, it is so much more than that. To quickly highlight the main points:
- OneDrive - Personal online storage. Access your files from anywhere.
- SharePoint - Shared storage for the whole school. It's your shared staff folder but on the web
- Office Online - Create and edit Word, OneNote, PowerPoint, and Excel documents from a browser.
- E-mail and Calendars - Stay in touch all the time.
- Skype for Business - Instant messaging, video conferencing and more.
- School video portal - Easily manage and share videos across your school.
And that's not all. To find out more just visit Microsoft's Office 365 for Education Website.
If you are particularly interested in SharePoint and how it might be able to transform the sharing and collaboration of information and work in your school then Schools ICT can supply a range of SharePoint solutions to meet your needs. Click here for more details.
So, in summary, if you just want to work on Word or Excel files when you're not in the office, check your e-mail and calendar, and maybe share these files with other people in your school, then Office 365 is what you're looking for. Oh, and did I mention that it's FREE.
Using SIMS From Home
If you are wanting to use SIMS from home, or another school then you'll need Schools ICT's Remote Access Server solution. This solution allows for programs that you currently have to be in school to use, to be published via a webpage and so made available wherever you can get online. The most obvious use of this solution is to make SIMS available for school staff to work on from home. However, it can also provide access to other programs you might want to use from home, such as RM Finance. It is also an ideal solution for confederated or collaborating schools who want SIMS for all schools to available from any site.
Unfortunately this solution isn't free. The solution is provided on a school by school basis, and the cost will depend very much on the current server that is in place at your school. Anything from a few hundred pounds, if you've got a server we can just upgrade, to a few thousand pounds if we need to replace your current server. However, as and when you have to replace your server at school, you can ask to have this solution put in place as part of the overall school server replacement.
So, to sum things up:
- If all you want to do is access files, whether you are in school or at home then Office 365 is the solution for you.
- If you want to run SIMS from home or another school then Schools ICT's Remote Access Server solution is what you need.
If you’re interested in either of these solutions then please get in touch with Schools ICT
Published by Russell Dodson on November 24, 2015