Modern technology means that you are no longer tied to the office when it comes to doing your work. That is assuming your work involves sitting at a computer, writing documents, updating databases, sending e-mails and the like. If you're a lion tamer then, well, maybe not so much use. But let’s assume you fall into the former category, and you'd like to know what you can do at your school to be able to work remotely; from home, from the beach, the train or anywhere.
Subscribe for e-newsletter
Following on from a Microsoft Update the date selector feature in SIMS has not been working correctly and bringing up a SIMS fault when users try to enter a date using the date selector. We have been advising schools to enter the date manually in SIMS as a temporary fix but we now have a patch which has been made available by Capita. Please use the instructions below to download and run the patch at your school:
- Click on the following zipped folder and choose "Save as". Save the folder to a shared SIMS area (we suggest: J:\SIMSdata\Inbox): SIMS 2015 Spring Date Selector Fix
- Once the file has downloaded, locate the zipped folder in J:\SIMSdata\Inbox. Right click on the zipped folder and choose "Extract all". If you have winzip installed then you may need to choose Winzip then "Extract here".
- When the file has been extracted from the zipped folder, please make sure you are logged out of SIMS then double click on the file to start up the wizard. Continue to click on "Next" until the installation starts to run, then click on "Finish". Other users can stay logged into SIMS as this is a workstation fix and therefore will need to be run on each SIMS workstation.
- You might now be asked to restart your machine. Click to restart if this window has popped up. Once your machine has booted back up please login to SIMS and test the date selector. A quick way to test would be to open edit marks and try changing the date using the date picker (Focus - Attendance - Edit marks).
- Please note that this is not a crucial update and you can continue you enter the date in SIMS manually if you wish.
We have been made aware of a fault code which is appearing in various areas of the SIMS MIS system since Microsoft released an automatic update which may have been implemented on school’s servers overnight.
The error manifests as a number (1829-4733-7100) specifically when users who are entering data select any drop down date box in SIMS and will close down your SIMS software without notice.
Capita are aware of the issue and are working on a resolution as a matter of urgency.
In the meantime, schools are being asked to enter any dates manually and not use the drop down boxes.