Subscribe for e-newsletter
Our web chats are text-based. Questions and answers appear on a screen between you and our operator(s). You are not able to hear the chat; there is no video or audio. The web chat has been designed to address general queries.
We will endeavour to answer as many questions as possible in the allotted time usually between 9am – 4pm (Monday to Friday).
Schools ICT moderates all comments and reserves the right to block, refer as appropriate and/or not respond to any messages which are considered to be confidential, inappropriate, vulgar, obscene, hateful, fraudulent, unlawful, threatening, discriminatory or defamatory, or for any other reason at the sole discretion of Schools ICT.
Taking part in a Live Chat
The live chat tool for Schools ICT is a service brought to you by ‘Chatra’
This chat facility is free of charge for users.
The following rules apply for the use of our live chat tool:
- Users are solely responsible for any questions, submissions or content posted within the live chat tool. When using live chat, all users are prohibited from:
- publishing data, texts, images, files, links, software, or any other content Schools ICT in particular deems illegal, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, slanderous, vulgar, obscene, hate inciting, racist or in other ways objectionable; harming others in any way; passing off as another person in the chat;
- entering, publishing, transmitting content by email, or in any other way, if the user is not authorised to pass on this content;
- entering, publishing, transmitting content by email or in any other way if this violates the rights of third parties, particularly patents, marks, copyrights, business secrets or other ownership rights;
- entering, publishing, disseminating or naming in any other way any advertisement, promotion material or other information/news if it promotes other University or education providers in the chat rooms; e) using the live chat tool for commercial purposes;
- entering, publishing, transmitting material or any other content by email or any other way if it contains software viruses or other information, files or programmes designed or apt to interrupt, destroy or restrict the functioning of the computer software and hardware or of telecommunication systems;
- from hampering the technical performance of the live chat tool or from interrupting the ordinary process of communication or in any way impairing the possibility of other users to communicate in real-time;
- from altering, modifying or reverse engineering any part of the live chat tool;
- accessing the servers or networks linked to the live chat tool or interrupting these or not complying with regulations, processes or other rules of the networks associated with the live chat tool;
- using or launching any automated system , including without limitation, “robots” or “spiders”, “load testers” or “DDoS attacks” that seek to send more messages to the live chat server than is possible for a human to send in the given time
- harassing, threatening, slandering, importuning, or embarrassing anyone, be it a natural or legal person or personality, or cause this person inconveniences of any kind;
- using languages other than the one specified for the respective chat room (usually English).
- During registration for a Chat, the user is required to enter their first name, which will be used for the duration of the chat and subsequent communications (see Data Policy). Section 1 (a) also applies to the inputting of their first name.
- In case of breach of these Terms and Conditions, Schools ICT reserves the right to delete the individual’s contribution. In serious cases or in case of recurrence, Schools ICT is entitled to delete the user's registration and to block the account temporarily or permanently. It shall be at the sole discretion of Schools ICT to assess the situation leading to a blocked account.
- Compliance with these rules shall be monitored by an administrator within Schools ICT. Every user is also authorised to inform us by email in case of suspected violation of the Terms and Conditions for Use.
- Every user is responsible for the content and data he/she publishes, and uses the live chat tool at their own risk. To the extent permitted by law, the Schools ICT shall not assume any liability for damage or losses of any kind resulting from the use of the chat tool.
- A cookie will be placed on the service user’s machine and the IP of the device registered against the chat.
- No assurance or warranty, express or implied, can be given for the availability and reliability of the chat tool.
- Information to users may contain links to third party websites. Schools ICT has no control over, and assumes no responsibility for, the content, privacy policies or practices of any third party websites. By using the chat tool you expressly acknowledge and agree Schools ICT shall not be responsible for any damages, claims or other liability arising from or related to your use of any third party website.
- The present Terms and Conditions for Use may be subject to change at any time. The users of this chat tool are not entitled to assert claims of any kind against Schools ICT. Schools ICT shall not be liable for any damage caused by the faulty transmission or non-transmission of contributions, irrespective of whether a confirmation of transmission is received or not.
A record of each one-to-one live chat will be held within the system and may be used when looking into your enquiry and for quality and monitoring purposes.
You may be asked to rate the chat on completion of your web chat. All ratings will be used for service improvement.
The Chatra tool automatically gathers the following information and this is used generally to see where users are coming from to aid marketing activities in the future:
- Information about the visitor’s browser (e.g. Internet Explorer version 10)
- Referrer (how the user ‘got’ to our website, e.g. Google or referred link)
- Origin (where the chat originated from on our website)
- IP address
- Country of origin
- In addition, service user contact details including names and email will be captured
Complaints and Comments
If you wish to make a complaint or comment regarding a chat (i.e. that you think it is objectionable or in breach of these terms and conditions) then please contact us through our contact form here
Over the course of the summer, we upgraded our servers. You may have noticed that, if you are accessing your website login via a bookmarked link in your browser, that you encounter a security certificate error and may in some cases be unable to proceed.
How do I access my website now?
We are committed to providing a website that is accessible to the widest possible audience, regardless of technology or ability. Thiswebsite has been designed to be as accessible as possible while still visually interesting. To do this we have considered a variety of features which are summarised below. Click on the links to see information on the particular accessibility issues.
- Alternative Style
- Images and Alt tags
- Browser Compatibility
- Coding Standards
- Consistent Navigation
The website has been designed to work with assistive technologies. We recommend that your computer or device is setup to enhance your entire computer experience. In order to achieve this please use the BBC My Web website provides useful hints/tips/guides to assist you if you have difficulty using the internet or have any accessibility issues.
Images and Alt Tags
We have avoided using excessive graphics within the web site where possible to ensure quick download times and access to information which cannot be read when in image format.
Where images have been used we have added 'Alt' tags - text alternatives so that you can still see what the image is meant to convey even if it doesn't load or if you have chosen to browse with the images switched off or you are using something like a screen reader to read the web page rather than view.
This website has been designed to work with the following browsers. If you are experiencing issues with the website it is recommended that you install the latest version of the browser.
- Internet Explorer
- Google Chrome
Later versions of these browsers should continue to be compatible.
We have ensured our site conforms to W3C standards for xhtml and css. Adhering to these standards should make our site accessible across browsers which adhere to the same standards, and should make our pages more accessible to those using screen readers and similar devices.
Throughout the site we have tried to keep the navigation consistent. Certain pages are available from every single page on the website. All image links have text alternatives.
If you have any comments about the accessibility of the site please contact our Webmaster here
Is your website Outstanding?
Introducing the Schools ICT’s Ofsted Website Health Check Service
Trust Schools ICT to examine your site and check it includes all the features required by Ofsted to provide relevant, accurate and up-to-date information for current and future visitors.
Your personalised report will highlight areas of good practice, identify areas that need improvement and provide advice and guidance for further development.
So before the inspector arrives at your school you can be sure you’ve created an outstanding impression.
By using this site you are agreeing to be bound by the following terms and conditions of the Schools ICT (North Yorkshire County Council) website. Below you can find legal information about our website, including copyright, disclaimer and privacy policies.
Copyright of the content of the Schools ICT (North Yorkshire County Council) website - consisting of design, text, graphics, images, source code and other materials - remains at all times the copyright of Schools ICT (North Yorkshire County Council) or with associated third parties. Schools ICT (North Yorkshire County Council) grant permission to electronically copy, and print to hard copy, information from this website only for use within school premises.
Changes and modification
No changes, modifications or alterations may be made to materials from this site without written consent from Schools ICT (North Yorkshire County Council). If information from this site is used for educational purposes then an acknowledgement of Schools ICT (North Yorkshire County Council) as the owner must accompany the material. Materials from this site cannot be re published or distributed in any format without written permission from Schools ICT (North Yorkshire County Council).
Schools ICT (North Yorkshire County Council) makes every effort to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up-to-date. However, we accept no liability for any loss or inconvenience caused by reliance on inaccurate material contained in this site.
External Web Links
This website contains links to other web sites. Schools ICT (North Yorkshire County Council) is not responsible for the privacy practices of those other web sites nor is it responsible for the content of those sites.
This privacy statement discloses the privacy practices for www.schoolsict.co.uk - the Schools ICT website. It applies solely to this website.
Schools ICT (North Yorkshire County Council) is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
Schools ICT (North Yorkshire County Council) may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 1/7/2012.
Information collection and use
• Schools ICT (North Yorkshire County Council), as the data collector, may collect some information from visitors to this site. This information is used only to respond to enquiries and to monitor site usage. We will not pass on these details to third parties or use them for any other purposes unless instructed by you to do so.
• Cookies and logging of IP addresses are used to enable us to monitor site traffic and repeat visitor statistics. These statistics will not include information that can be used to identify any individual. Such information is anonymous and held on a temporary basis.
• You will not receive unsolicited paper or electronic mail as a result of using an electronic form unless we have explicitly requested and received your permission.
• Where personal data is requested through forms, such data is only used for the purpose stated on the form and will not be given or sold to any third parties.
• Schools ICT (North Yorkshire County Council) complies with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about webpage traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Questions or comments
If you have questions or comments about this policy or if you feel that this site is not following its stated information policy please contact us at
SICT (Schools ICT)
North Yorkshire County Council
Technology and Change
Send us an email using our contact form